FAQ Building Permits


Click here to view the City of Delavan Zoning Codes.

What types of activities do I need a building permit for?

Plumbing, electrical, reroofing, residing, a new shed, deck, swimming pool, fence, addition, remodeling interior and exterior, replacing or installing a furnace or central air conditioning.

Do I need a building permit to replace my windows?

If you are keeping the windows the same size, no. If you are enlarging or reducing the size of the windows, yes.

Why would I need a building permit to reduce the size of my windows?

Because, the State of WI minimum housing code requires that a habitable room have 8% of natural light.

Where can I obtain a copy of the State of WI building code book?

For new construction of a home or commercial building – doing electrical or plumbing work, you would need to contact Document Sales in Madison at 608-266-3358. For minimum housing requirements, you can contact building department at 262-728-1891 in order to purchase a copy. Click here to view the City of Delavan Building Codes.

Do I need a building permit for a detached shed with no foundation?

Yes. The building department is required to inform the property owner of any required setbacks from the property line.

Do I need a building permit for a patio?

If the patio is in the same elevation of the grade, no. But if you raise the patio above grade, then it is considered a deck and building permits are required for decks.

I want to remove my existing garage and construct a larger one, what do I need to do?

When replacing an existing garage, the applicant needs a razing permit. The inspector will need a survey (or a copy of one), a floor plan, and a wall section for a new garage.

Does the City of Delavan have different requirements for my room addition than a new home?

Yes. Code requirements for a new home come from the Uniform Dwelling Code (U.D.C.) and the requirements for a room addition come from the City of Delavan Minimum Housing Code.

What happens if the garage I want to build will be to close to my neighbor?

The property owner will have to apply for a variance to the Zoning Board of Appeals, the process could take 6 to 8 weeks before a building permit can be issued.

[widgets_on_pages id=”City of Delavan Wisconsin Walworth County”]

Translate »