Frequently Asked Questions


What number should I call for Police service in a situation that is non-emergency?

For emergencies call 911

To request Police service for a non-emergency situation, call (262) 728-6311. The Police Dispatcher will take the necessary information and send an Officer to assist you.

What time is curfew in Delavan, Wisconsin?

Curfew in the City of Delavan is between the hours of 11:00PM to 6:00AM, everyday including weekends.

What is the Parental Responsibility Ordinance?

Every custodial parent had a duty to properly supervise his or her child. Any custodial parent whose child is convicted of a City of Delavan Municipal Code violation twice in a six-month period or three or more times in a twelve-month period is guilty of failing to properly supervise said child. Fines and other penalties could be levied against the parent.

What are the hours of Parks in the City of Delavan?

Except for authorized events, all parks in the City of Delavan close at 10:00PM and reopen at 5:00AM.

How late is the Police Department open?

The Police Department is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does the City of Delavan allow residents to burn yard debris?

Controlled burning of dry leaves and other non-offensive, dry yard debris may be burned during the periods of March 1 through May 31 and Sept.1 through November 30 of each year. Special safety precautions do exist.
All open burning permitted above shall conform to the following:
a. Monitored by a responsible person until the fire has extinguished itself completely;
b. Conducted on days when excessive wind or atmospheric conditions will not result in danger to public health or safety;
c. Located off the public street pavement or street gutter;
d. Located at least fifty (50) feet from any neighboring structures;
e. Not used for covert incineration of offensive substances or materials.”

When does the City celebrate holidays?

The City of Delavan celebrates all holidays on the day of the holiday. For instance, July 4th is celebrated on July 4th. Fireworks are always schedule to be displayed at dusk on that day. Halloween is celebrated on October 31, Trick or Treat is between 4:00PM and 6:00PM that day.

Who do I call if I need the Fire Department or the Rescue Squad?

All emergencies dial 911.

Do I need a permit to sell door to door?

It shall be unlawful for any direct seller to engage in direct sales within the City of Delavan without being registered for that purpose.

Are there parking restriction on City streets?

No person, firm, corporation shall park or leave standing any automobile, truck, trailer, or vehicle of any description on any public street or public parking lot owned by the City of Delavan for a period of twenty-four (24) or more consecutive hours in the same location.

Are there parking restrictions during the winter?

The parking or leaving standing of any vehicle on any street, excepting both sides of Walworth Avenue between Main Street to Fourth Street, in the City between the hours of 3:00am and 6:00am within the period commencing November 15 of each year through March 15 of the following year shall be allowed only on alternate side of the street as more specifically hereinafter defined: On odd-numbered days of the month, on the odd numbered sides of the streets; on even-numbered days of the month, on the even numbered sides of the streets.

What is that siren noise that I hear?

The City of Delavan has several different warning sirens throughout the City.

    •  A siren that sounds for a period of 3 minutes means that there is a tornado in the area and all people in the city should take cover.
    •  A siren that sounds up and down is used to summon the Fire Department. A siren that sounds for less then 30 seconds is the noon siren system test.
    •  A siren is sounded at the 11th hour on Nov. 11th in commemoration of veteran’s day.

Does the Police Department have a jail or a holding facility?

The City of Delavan Police Department does not have a jail or holding facilities. The Police Department uses the facilities at the Walworth County Sheriff’s Department located in Elkhorn, WI.

Who do we contact for school closings?

The Police Department does not make the decision to close schools during snow emergencies. To learn if a school in Delavan is closed, listen to a local radio or television station or contact your local school.

What is the speed limit in Delavan?

The City of Delavan follows State Statute 346.57, involving speed limits. SS346.57 (1)(e) Twenty-five miles per hour on any highway (street) within the corporate limits of a city or village, other then on highways in outlying districts in such city or village. SS346.57 (5) Zoned and Posted Limits. In addition to complying with the speed restrictions imposed above, no person shall drive a vehicle in excess of any speed limit established pursuant to law by any state or local authorities and indicated by official signs.

Are there noise restrictions?

It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue or cause to be made or continued any loud and unnecessary noise. Construction work and the repairing of streets could be considered loud noises. This type of activity is allowed between the hours of 7:00A.M. and 10:00P.M.

Do I need a permit to use an amplification system?

The use of loudspeakers or amplifying devices on the streets or in the parks of the City of Delavan is prohibited unless the party desiring to use such loudspeaker or amplifying device first obtains a permit from the Chief of Police.

I heard that hanging around street corners is illegal?

No person shall loaf or loiter in groups or crowds upon public streets, sidewalks, or adjacent doorways or entrances, street crossings or bridges or in any other public place, after being requested to move by any Police Officer.

    Translate »