Public Works FALL Newsletter


Newsletter Fall 
From the Public Works Office

The City of Delavan provides for curbside pickup for brush too large to be carried in standard vehicles to a disposal facility. Curbside brush collection will now be a weekly pickup from April 1st through October 31st each year.  You need to contact the City of Delavan Message Center at 262.740.3502 and leave your address for pickup.

The City of Delavan offers a leaf pick up program. The last day that leaves can be left at the curbside for leaf collection in the Fall is the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Those leaving leaf piles in the curb after that date will be sent an unsightly debris notice from the Inspection Department for the property owner to remove.  Leaves must be placed evenly in the street adjacent to the curb and not bagged. No phone call is necessary.  Burning of small amounts of dry leaves and dry plant clippings is allowed between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. from March 1st through May 31st, and September 1st through November 30th. Burning of leaves in City streets is not allowed.

Reminder to new area residents: Refuse pick in the City of Delavan is by private contract hauler, contractor selection is your choice.  Haulers must be licensed with the City of Delavan.

In general, homeowners policies exclude coverage for damage caused by flood waters. If your home isn’t covered through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) as an additional “rider” on your policy, call your insurance agent for details and cost.

You can buy flood insurance NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE, in high-, low-, or moderate-risk areas, as long as your community participates in the NFIP. Homeowners, business owners, and renters can all purchase flood insurance, as the City of Delavan participates in the NFIP.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) guidelines allow for reimbursement if two or more properties sustain damage per event. Flood insurance reimburses you for all covered losses. Claims are paid even if a disaster is not declared by the President. Homeowners can get up to $185,000 of coverage and businesses up to $250,000. There are separate content coverage, so renters can get flood insurance, too.

When you file a flood insurance claim, you can get a partial payment immediately, so you can start recovering faster. Flood insurance claims are paid by policyholder premiums, not taxpayer dollars.

Please do not mow grass into the roadway, this material washes onto catchbasin grates during rainstorms and causes water to pond on your neighbors property. The City does provide property owners a drop-off site for grass clippings, bush trimmings and small brush at 490 Richmond Road, Monday thru Friday from 7:15 a.m. till 3:15 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m. Saturday operation  begins after March 15 and continues to the Saturday prior to November 15.

In December of 1999, the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) final Phase II Regulations for Revision of the Water Pollution Control Program Addressing Stormwater Discharges was entered into the Federal Register. The rule, finalized on October 29, 1999, seeks to control storm water runoff from smaller storm sewer systems in urbanized areas and construction sites in an effort to improve the quality of the nation’s waterways. Implementing the rule’s requirements will necessitate substantial efforts from local governments.

The Storm Water Phase II rule requires municipal separate storm sewer systems serving less than 5,000 people that are located in urbanized areas and operators of construction sites disturbing 1 to 5 acres to obtain an NPDES permit. These entities must also implement storm water discharge management controls, often referred to as best management practices to reduce or prevent the discharge of pollutants into receiving waters. More than 100,000 municipal separate storm sewer systems will be required to obtain permits.

The rules establish numerical goals for pollution reduction required for new construction and existing development to be completed by the year 2013.

City of Delavan staff has been revising ordinances and practices to meet the stormwater quality and quantity standards required of permitted communities, as it is much less expensive to design new developments right the first time than to retrofit existing developments in the future.

There are two major causes of asphalt cracking. Due to our severe winters, asphalt expands and contracts with changing temperatures. Asphalt, unlike concrete, has no expansion and contraction joints. Thus, asphalt cracks where the most stress is placed, creating control joints. The second cause of pavement cracking is due to oxidation. Since asphalt pavement is approximately 94% aggregate and only 6% asphalt oil, it is very susceptible to the elements. Sun, rain, heat and cold cause the asphalt to oxidize, causing it to harden and shrink.

Water Penetration
Water penetrates through the cracks in the pavement and into the gravel base. Here, it filters the finer material of the base out of the larger aggregate. With only the larger aggregate material left to support the pavement, the base loses its load handling capabilities and the pavement fails.

Proper cracksealing along with other maintenance techniques (IE: ditching, shouldering) can prevent costly water damage and greatly increase the life of our asphalt pavements.

Applications of Slurry Seal are cost effective, providing durability, texture and prevent surface distress. While weather-proofing and increasing skid resistance, Slurry Seal can also correct surface cracks and raveling, without the loose stones and dust of chip seal. Although untreated asphalt can last several years, timely applications of preventative maintenance are more cost effective than corrective maintenance. By undertaking a program of planned preventative maintenance keeping our better pavements in top condition, considerable savings in rehabilitation costs will also be achieved.

The City of Delavan provides for lighting at street intersections and minimum intervals on longer blocks. Some of these fixtures are owned and maintained by the City (Metal Poles) and some are rented from Alliant Utilities (Wood Poles). If you observe a problem with a street light, please contact the Public Works Department at 728-1891 and we will contact the appropriate repair agency. Also, if the light “cycles” (blinks on and off repeatedly) please let us know, this means the bulb is bad and your notification speeds proper repair.

Citizens must get permission to plant on the terraces because only appropriate varieties of trees are allowed. Regulations require keeping the tree pruned to 10 feet above the sidewalk and 14 feet above the street. Any low growing bush or shrub on the terrace must be maintained no more than 30 inches above the curb. The city removes any damaged/diseased trees and stumps, and also trims the trees. Citizens are encouraged to trim the lower branches to ease the city’s workload.


Translate »