Current Rates


For more information on Deferred Payments and Automated Monthly Billing, click here.

Current sewer rates

   Volume Charge (Based on Metered Flow)
  $5.18 per 100 Cu. Ft. (.84 City & 4.34 WalCoMet)
(100 Cu. Ft. Equals 748 Gallons)


   Minimum Quarterly Charge (Based on Water Meter Size)
  meter size
  City Monthly
  WalCoMet Monthly
   5/8″   $ 6.90   $ 3.61
   3/4″   $ 6.90   $ 3.61
   1″   $ 8.27   $ 9.03
   1 1/4″   $ 9.18   $ 12.64
   1 1/2″   $10.54   $18.05
   2″   $13.27   $28.88
   3″   $20.55    $57.76
   4″   $28.74   $90.25
   6″   $51.49   $180.50
   8″   $78.79   $288.80
Fixed Monthly Charge Per Connection included in City portion $5.99Surcharge Rates:
BOD greater than 200 mg/L = $0.68 pound
Suspended Solids greater than 230 mg/L = $0.47 pound
Nitrogen greater than 40 mg/L = $2.87 pound

Current water rates

The water rate was authorized by the Wisconsin Public Service Commission. The new rate became effective on April 1, 2014. The order simply modified the quarterly rates that were effective on January 4, 2011 to monthly rates.

   Volume Charge (Based on Metered Flow)
   First 833 Cubic Feet   $ 3.40 per 100 cu.ft.
   Next 32,500 Cubic Feet   $ 2.67 per 100 cu.ft.
   Over 33,333 Cubic Feet   $ 1.57 per 100 cu.ft.
(100 Cu. Ft. Equals 748 Gallons)


   Minimum Monthly Charge (Based on Water Meter Size)
  meter size    Per Month
   5/8″   $ 6.50
   3/4″   $ 6.50
   1″   $11.00
   1 1/4″   $15.00
   1 1/2″   $20.00 
   2″   $30.00
   3″   $50.00 
   4″   $70.00 
   6″   $100.00 
   8″   $140.00 

Public Fire Protection Charge
Was first included on May 2012 Utility Bills

This is not a new charge, just an explanation of PFP.

   Public Fire Protection Monthly Charge
  Meter Size    Residential    Non-Residential
   5/8″   $ 6.70
  $ 13.40
   3/4″   $ 6.70   $ 13.40
   1″   $ 17.00   $ 33.00
   1 1/4″   $ 25.00   $ 49.00
   1 1/2″   $ 33.00    $ 67.00 
   2″   $ 54.00   $107.00
  3″  $101.00   $201.00
   4″   $168.00    $334.00 
   6″   $336.00    $669.00 
   8″   $537.00    $1,070.00 

What is Public Fire Protection (PFP)
In developing water rates, costs of providing water are divided into primarily three categories including volume related, meter or fixed charges and PFP. Costs related to such things as fire hydrants and increases in watermain size and water storage capacity, water system improvements needed for fighting fires, are allocated to PFP.

Is this a new charge?
Public Fire Protection is not new, only the method of how utility customers are paying for PFP is changing. Previously the cost of Public Fire Protection was included in the annual City budget, and collected in the property tax bills. In preparation of the 2012 City Budget, it was determined that this expense would be removed from collection through property tax and instead be collected in the Water Utility bills.

Why the change at this time?
The City is reallocating the dollars previously budgeted for Public Fire Protection to fund capital improvements. By paying for certain capital improvements on a cash basis, the City will be able to more effectively control the levy and will eliminate financing costs and interest payments, making available more dollars to fund actual improvements.

As a result of this reallocation, costs related to PFP will be paid through a charge included on the water utility bill of each customer. Commencing in May 2012, water bills include a new base charge for Fire Protection.

How is this cost allocated to the customer?
The total amount to be collected through this charge ($462,000) is first allocated based on property values between residential and non-residential utility customer classes. The cost allocated within a customer class is based on water meter size.

What does this mean to an average residential customer?
A Residential customer with a ¾” or smaller meter (which is all but 8 of our residential customers) will pay an additional $6.70 per month or $80.40 a year to cover these charges.

The cost savings resulting from the transition to a cash basis for reoccurring capital projects, is projected to offset the additional utility charge over the next five year period.

How bills are calculated

An average monthly water & sewer bill for a family of four will total $89.78 and is calculated as follows (based upon the above rates):

Meter Charge (3/4″ Meter)  $ 6.50
Volume Charge (733 Cu. Ft.) v  $24.92

Subtotal water:

 $ 31.42
Public Fire Protection Charge  $ 6.70

Subtotal fire protection:

 $ 6.70
Meter Charge  $ 6.90
Sewer Volume Charge (3/4″ Meter)  $ 6.15
WalCoMet Meter Charge (3/4″ Meter)  $ 3.61
WalCoMet Volume Charge (733 Cu. Ft.)  $31.81

Subtotal sewer:


Total Water/Sewer/Fire:


Note: this calculation will be for the February 2018 billing.



The Delavan Water & Sewage Commission is the governing body for the Delavan Water & Sewer Utility. The Commission consists of the Mayor, a Council Member selected by the Common Council each April, and three citizen members. The citizen members are appointed by the Mayor with approval of the Common Council and serve a three-year term. The regular meetings of the Commission are on the second Thursday after the second Tuesday of each month. The meetings are open to the public.

Returned Check and Returned ACH Fees

A $25.00 charge shall be applied to the customer’s account when a check is returned for non-sufficient funds or a returned check.

Adopt a hydrant

During heavy snowfalls, fire hydrants can become buried by plowed snow. This can become a dangerous situation and could cause fire fighters wasted valuable time in starting attempts to put out the fire.

If you see a fire hydrant located on or near your property, which has been covered and will not allow speedy access, the utility would greatly appreciate your removing the snow around the hydrant when you are shoveling your property. If you are not able to remove the snow, please contact the Utility office at 728-5585 and personnel will be notified of the situation.

PLEASE BECOME A WATCHFUL NEIGHBOR. Please alert the Police Department at 728-6311 if you see someone tampering with a fire hydrant. A disabled hydrant could mean precious time needed for fighting a fire, perhaps on your property. Water lost from a vandalized hydrant costs the utility, and ultimately the ratepayers, money.

Meter Reinstallation Fee

If a customer, bank or realtor requests the discontinuation of service due to long term or indefinite property vacancy for a period of more than one year, such as foreclosures or sale of home, the utility must be notified to shut water off at the curb box and physically remove the meter. If service is resumed at the same premises within a 12-month period, the customer shall be billed for the pro rata share of the applicable service charge for the period of disconnection.

When customer requests service to be reconnected, the meter will be reinstalled and water at the curb box turned on. At this time a $50.00 fee for reinstallation will be invoiced.

Got Leaks???

Pursuant to the City of Delavan Municipal Code, Section 9-1-38 (c)… “it is the sole responsibility of the customer to prevent leakage in all piping and fixtures on the premises at and beyond the metering point, and that any leaks or other losses or water, registered by the meter, will be billed at the filed rate.

Section 9-1-38(d) ” Should it be determined that a leak unknown to a customer has been found in an appliance or the plumbing, the Utility may make adjustment for the water so wasted by estimating the water so wasted and bill for it at a reduced rate not less than the Utility’s cost… No such adjustment shall be made for water supplied after the customer has been notified and has had an opportunity to correct the condition.”

Meter Replacements

Helpful hints to make exchange go smoothly:

Periodically Utility personnel may be required to complete routine maintenance on our master water meter. Generally, a meter exchange is completed within a half-hour.

Water meters are generally located in the basement to prevent freezing in the winter. (The little box located outside your home is only a receptacle to read the meter in the basement).

Keep the area around the meter clear for easy access.

Keep the valves on both sides of the meter in good operating condition.
Remember these valves are your property and may be needed in an emergency to shut off the water due to a broken fixture or pipe.

Our meter personnel will also need to shut off your water to exchange the meter, so make sure that everyone in your family will be aware of the temporary outage.

The Delavan Water Utility appreciates your cooperation in completing this process.


Summer Water Only Meter Rental

During the summer months, the utility allows rental of water only meter that will be attached to an outside spigot for pool fill and lawn installations. The meter will be set for up to one week at a charge of $50.00 for the meter rental and water volume charge at approved rates. Please call utility office at least one week prior to requested installation date. No other methods for pool fill readings are allowed.


Consumer Confidence Report

The 1996 Amendment to the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) requires that an annual Consumer Confidence Report be issued to customers of our water utility. The purpose of this regulation is to provide water quality information using compliance data from the prior calendar year. This report is published in the Delavan Enterprise annually.  If you would be interested in receiving a copy of this report, please contact the City office (262) 728-5585.


November 14, 2006, the Common Council passed and adopted an Ordinance to provide for the conservation of water and standby restrictions on water use.

The intent of this Ordinance is to “prevent overuse of the City’s water resources, to avoid substantial depletion of the water table and to ensure a safe and secure potable water supply to the public and sufficient water supply for fire protection purposes, during periods of adverse conditions such as droughts, equipment failures, electrical interruptions, system maintenance or other conditions which might interfere with the regular water supply to the community”.

If an emergency condition is determined by the Director of Utilities, implementation of restrictions will be placed in effect over the water use for landscaping, lawn watering purposes, and residential hand washing of motor vehicles.

First Stage Restrictions

  • Restrict all outside water uses to an odd/even side of the street system based on the day of the week and address of the user. For example: even number addresses may water lawns or wash cars on even number days, and odd number addresses may do so on odd number days.
  • The hours allowed for outside use of water shall be from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
  • During First Stage restrictions, a temporary permit may be granted by the Utility Director to allow daily watering of newly placed sod or vegetation. The period of watering pursuant to such a permit may occur during the first three weeks following sod placement. A temporary meter is required to be installed. Call the Utility office for more information and to obtain permit application.

Second Stage Restrictions

  • Restrict All Outside Water Use

Third Stage Restrictions

  • Restrict All Outside Water Use Immediately and Limit Indoor Water Use To Minimum Needs.

Restriction notification will be completed by either door hangers at each household, a city wide mailing, or newspaper notices.

The duration of the restriction will depend on the nature of the emergency. Restrictions shall remain in effect until further notice from the City.

Penalty: Any person, firm or corporation who fails to comply with the provisions of this Ordinance shall be subject to a fine not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00 for each such offense. Each day that such violation exists shall constitute a separate offense.


What is a cross connection?  A cross connection is any physical connection between two otherwise separate systems, one of which contains potable water from the City water system and the other containing water from a private source, water of unknown or questionable safety, gases, or chemicals, whereby there may be a flow from one system to the other, the direction of flow depending on the pressure between the two systems.  An example is the common garden hose submerged in a swimming pool or a bucket of detergent or other contaminated water.  When the proper conditions occur, water can flow backwards (backflow) in a piping system allowing contaminated water to flow into the City’s drinking water through a cross connection.

Cross Connection Prohibited.  Pursuant to Section 9-1-51(c) of the City of Delavan Municipal Code, “No person, firm or corporation shall establish or permit to be established or maintain or permit to be maintained any cross connection.  No interconnection shall be established whereby potable water from a private, auxiliary or emergency water supply other than the regular public water supply of the City may enter the supply or distribution system of said municipality…”

What is the purpose of cross connection and backflow prevention?
To protect the health and welfare of users of the City of Delavan’s public potable water supply from the possibility of contamination or pollution of the potable water system.  To promote the control and/or elimination of existing cross connections between the customer’s potable water system and other environment(s) containing substances which may contaminate or pollute the City water supply.

Cross Connection Inspections.
In 2006, the City of Delavan Water Utility began a Cross Connection Control Inspection Program.  Commercial and industrial inspections are being completed by Hydro Designs, Inc. Residential inspections are being completed by utility personnel during routine meter replacements or at a scheduled inspection appointment.

What will a cross connection inspectors be checking?  Interior and exterior hose bibs, lawn irrigation, utility & kitchen sinks, sump pumps, hot water heaters, boilers and humidifiers, water softener drains, toilet, shower & bathtubs. At each location the inspection will determine if compliance to the state plumbing code is being maintained and that no cross connection can occur.

If you would like additional information or to schedule a cross connection inspection at your home, please call the Utility Office at 728-5585.

Paying By Credit Card
The City of Delavan accepts credit card payments at
To obtain more information you may visit their website or call 1-888-604-7888. charges a nominal fee for this service.

[widgets_on_pages id=”City of Delavan Wisconsin Walworth County”]

Translate »