Selling Your Home?


Selling Your Home? Who needs to know…

If you are currently receiving a Delavan Water and Sewer bill and are planning a move from that location, contact Utility Office at 728-5585 ext. 139 to notify us of the move out day. We will schedule utility personnel to remotely obtain a reading from the inside meter. The Utility Office will then generate a final bill for you for that location.

Information the Utility Office will need

(1) Customer Name
(2) Address of property to be read out.
(3) Date when you will vacate the home or when the closing date for the sale of a home is.
(4) Address that you want final bill mailed, fax number for seller or title company requesting the bill, or realtor who will be picking up the bill to include with the closing statement.

We will request the name of person moving into the home or name of landlord who will be responsible for the bill until property is rented again.


The utility will be instituting a customer name change authorization form. This form will require the landlord to file in writing, with the utility, the customer authorization form indicating customer’s name that will be shown on the monthly bill. For example, information required will be:

Information for tenant moving out

(1) Tenant’s name final bill will be mailed to:
(2) Mailing address for aforementioned tenant.
(3) Date tenant will be moving out and will no longer be responsible for the utility bill.
Note: Call the utility office 728-5585 ext 139 to schedule a time for meter operator to remotely obtain and inside meter reading. Final bills are generated once a week, currently on Thursday’s. If a bill is required by a certain date, allow at least a week’s processing time before the bill is generated.

Information for tenant moving in

(1) Name of new tenant:
(2) Mailing address as it will appear on the utility bill.
(3) Date the new tenant will be moving in and utility bill will become their responsibility.Note: if name of new tenant is not available, utility bill will be placed in the property owners name and mailing address.

Property owner information required

(1) Name of property owner
(2) Mailing address of property owner
(3) Signature of property owner verifying that information is correct and acknowledging that if utility bill is in arrears on November 15th, the bill will become a lien against the property. This lien is pursuant to Wis. State Statutes, Section 66.069(1)(b) and states “On November 16 …which arrears still remain unpaid, and stating the amount of such arrears together with the added penalty thereon as hereby provided. Each such delinquent amount, including such penalty, shall thereupon become a lien upon the lot or parcel of real estate to which the water was furnished and payment for which is delinquent, and the clerk shall insert the same as a tax against such lot or parcel of real estate.”Utility personnel generally can be scheduled to obtain inside readings anytime during working hours, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The Utility Office will gather all readings taken and prepare and mail all final bills once a week. If you are selling your home and will be requiring a final bill for closing, contact the Utility Office as soon as possible to schedule adequate time, a one week minimum, to read and prepare the bill. A final bill included in the closing documents will insure that an unpaid bill is not placed as an assessment against the property owner’s tax bill.

Notices for deliquent bills being placed on tax roll

Annually, on October 15th, the Utility gives notice to property owners of any unpaid water & sewer utility bill outstanding prior to October 1st. The notice includes the amount of the arrears, including statement of a 10% penalty that will be assessed unless paid by November 1st. On November 16th, any delinquent bills will be turned over to the City Clerk to be placed as a lien upon the parcel of land which the water service was furnished.

[widgets_on_pages id=”City of Delavan Wisconsin Walworth County”]

Translate »